HHA’s Public Housing Waiting List is currently closed.
No sites are accepting applications for new public housing admissions.
How to Apply for Public Housing
Applicants may apply for Public Housing using a secure, web-based Applicant Portal. Follow the “Online Application System” link and enter a pre-application for each site. Paper pre-applications are no longer accepted by the HHA for Public Housing.
Applicants can return to the site to check their status on the waiting list or to make changes to their pre-application. If you do not have access to a computer, applicants can visit and utilize on-site Computer Centers, at any public housing site. Call the Manager’s Office to schedule an appointment to visit the Computer Lab.
Currently, the Public Housing waiting list is closed. When it opens, there will be a city-wide marketing effort informing all interested parties that the waiting list is open and accepting new applications. When the list opens, pre-applications will be taken online.
- Here are some important things to remember for applicants on the Public Housing Waiting List:
- There is no charge to apply nor be placed on HHA’s Public Housing Waiting list, at any site.
- Placement on the waiting list is according to the date and time of an application and family eligibility.
- The Houston Housing Authority does not provide emergency housing. Call 211 or 311.
- Applicants placed on the waiting list must submit all changes (contact number, address, family size, etc), in writing. Click here to update your online pre-application.
- All applicants must monitor and respond to waiting list notices delivered via email and/or
- All applicants MUST save their Log-In ID and Password!! This information will be needed to check the status of an application. Please do not call HHA nor a site to check the status of a Public Housing application.
Reasonable Accommodation: The HHA provides reasonable accommodations to those persons with disabilities so that they can pursue and participate equally in HHA’s Public Housing program. To request a reasonable accommodation, individuals with disabilities may contact the 504/ADA Administrator at 713-260-0353 TTY 713-260-0547 or 504ADA@housingforhouston.com.
The HHA offers other housing options, beyond public housing. Admission criteria various by programs which also impacts how/when applications are accepted and processed.
To inquire about the waitlist please contact waitlistPHO@housingforhouston.com.
Contact the Manager’s Office to inquire about other affordable housing options.
Policies and procedures governing the Public Housing Waiting List are reflected in the Admission and Continued Occupancy Plan (ACOP). Click here to view the ACOP.