Voucher Portability

Housing Choice Voucher Program participants can take their vouchers with them if they move (port) within the U.S. to another area with a Housing Choice Voucher Program. The Voucher Program participant MUST notify the Housing Authority where they currently live that they want to utilize the Portability option of the voucher to transfer to Houston or from Houston to another city of their choice.  Once the portability request is approved, your PHA issues the family a voucher and must contact the Houston Housing Authority on the family’s behalf. Your PHA must promptly notify the Houston Housing Authority to expect the incoming family. This means your PHA contacts the Houston Housing Authority on the family’s behalf, typically by telephone, fax, or email. Simply referring the family to HUD or to a website for information on the Houston Housing Authority’s address does not fulfill the responsibilities of your PHA under the program regulations.

All Portability paperwork should be sent by your Housing Authority to the Houston Housing Authority either by the email listed below, the fax number listed below, or sent U.S. post to the address below. For questions regarding your portability status, email our portability department at portability@housingforhouston.com.  Please allow 3 – 5 business days for a response.

Email: portability@housingforhouston.com
Fax: 713.260.0544, Attention: Portability Department
Mail: Houston Housing Authority, Attention: Portability Department
2640 Fountain View Dr., Ste. 100
Houston, TX 77057

The required paperwork should include:

  • HUD-52665 Family Portability Information Form
  • Client’s current voucher
  • Current 50058 Form
  • Current EIV Report
  • Client’s current income verifications
  • Client contact address and phone number

You must have a minimum of 45 days remaining on your voucher to port to the Houston Housing Authority.

Before visiting or contacting the Houston Housing Authority, please allow our Portability Department to contact you via phone or mail.  If you have a change of address, please visit our offices to submit the change in writing or email us at portability@housingforhouston.com with your updated address.

After all of the client’s portability information is received by the Houston Housing Authority, the client will receive an appointment by mail in approximately 2 weeks.

If you live in Houston and wish to port out, please complete the Request to Transfer Form. It is also available at the receptionist’s desk in our first-floor lobby.

Click here for a list of HHA’s Payment Standards by zip code.

FAQ Regarding Portability Processes

1. Can I move into the unit before the paperwork has been processed?

The Houston Housing Authority (HHA) does not advise nor suggest that you do so.  You must be determined eligible for the unit, the unit must pass a Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspection, and the rent must be determined to be reasonable prior to you moving in.

2. How much will I pay?

After the unit has passed inspection and the contract has been submitted for payment, you will be mailed a “Rent Change Notice” letter from HHA.  The family’s portion of the rent will be included in this letter.

3. How much is my Voucher worth?

The HCV program is an income-based program and the amount of your housing assistance depends upon your income.  Once your paperwork is received and processed, you will receive an “Affordability” sheet that will assist you with selecting an affordable unit.

4. Can I get an extension on my Voucher?

For Incoming Portability, the time stated on your voucher will be the same time issued by your initial Housing Authority.  Meaning, that the HHA voucher will expire on the same date as indicated on the voucher from your initial Housing Authority.

For Outgoing Portability, voucher extensions must be submitted, in writing, at our offices two weeks prior to the expiration date of your voucher and will only be approved under extenuating circumstances.  Please allow 10 business days for a decision.

5. May I add someone to my Voucher?

HHA will NOT add members to your household during your portability process.  Only the household composition recognized by your initial Housing Authority will be processed during the HHA portability process.

6. I wish to cancel my port to Houston and return to my Housing Authority.  What do I do?

You will need to submit a declaration to HHA, in writing, stating that you want to cancel your port request and have your documents sent back to your initial Housing Authority.  Then, inform your initial Housing Authority that you have canceled your request to port to Houston.

7. I need an extra bedroom for medical equipment.  How do I request that?

You will need to fill out a Reasonable Accommodation request form and submit the completed form to our offices.

8. My HHA voucher has expired and I didn’t submit a Request for Tenancy Approval.  What do I do now?

HHA will send you a closed file letter which will explain that we are closing your file and your documents are being returned to your initial Housing Authority for failure to lease-up.  The closed file letter will also give you the right to appeal HHA’s decision to close your file and cancel your port request.